A Detailed Breakdown of a Remodeling Project Timeline
Thinking about remodeling your home but don't know where to start or what to expect? This article will give you a detailed breakdown of our process and how to go about getting started on turning your project idea into a reality.
Initial Discussion: 15-20 minutes
Let's have that initial discussion about your project! We like to learn a little more about what you have in mind, if it's possible or even feasible. During our first phone call, we’ll talk about your project including both your wants and needs. We will also talk about the type of contractor you’re looking to hire, your timeline and the level of investment you’re looking to put back in to your home. This initial call will take 15-20 minutes. Items we will discuss include:
- Where is your project located? We serve all of Walworth County, Wisconsin and some surrounding areas. Our service area is very specific because we want to make sure we can manage your project with a high level of customer service and attention.
- What project are you looking to complete? What about your home doesn’t support the way you live today and how do you think that can be corrected? View our portfolio to see various projects we've had the pleasure of working on – creating a home that better fit our clients’ lifestyles.
- Why do you want to do this project? Understanding the reason behind your remodeling project and why you're ready to make a significant investment in your home is critical to designing the correct solution.
- How much are you willing to invest in your home? You probably don’t know what it costs to remodel your home – most people don’t. But in our discussion, we are going to discover the level you are comfortable investing in to your home. This is critical for both of us. You don’t want us to design a project that you’re excited about that doesn’t ever happen because it’s way out of your comfort range. We’ll discuss what we believe the range may be and decide if this is a good fit based on your budget and our opinion of probable costs, knowing this is a pretty loose number with few details to back it up at this point.
- Have you ever remodeled your home before? How was that experience? What type of contractor are you looking for? This will go a long way in determining the type of experience you have during the project. This is key. People will forget what is said during the project and the what was done to their home, but people will never forget how their contractor made them feel through the experience.
- When are you looking to have your project completed? Let us know if you have a date in mind so we can go over how long your project design, permits and construction may take.
- What is the number one thing you are looking for in a contractor? Are you an organizer, willing to take control and responsibility for the timing and quality of the project or do you want a contractor that owns your project, ensuring it’s done in a timely manner and to the specifications listed in your agreement?
Ready to have that initial discussion?
- 1. Call 262.723.7232
- 2. Fill out our contact form. We will reply or call to get more details or schedule a time to have an initial discussion.
When you fill out the contact form, we typically reply within 24-48 hours. We understand that we’re not always the right fit for everyone and each project so let’s talk about it and find out together.
1st Appointment: 1 hour
At the end of the initial discussion, together we will determine if it make sense to set up an appointment with a Remodeling Consultant. The 1st appointments can be 3-4 weeks (and sometimes longer) from that initial discussion.
Either Jeff Auburger or Barney Brugger, our Remodeling Consultants, will meet with you, discuss the project, measure the space and take photos. They will be looking for opportunities and obstacles to the project solution you have in mind. Once at your home, we will spend approximately an hour getting to know each other better and determining a best course of action to solve your home issue. We will hear what you have in mind, give some advice, and talk through your goals, desires, and any fears you may have regarding the project. We won’t get into the small details, but we will talk about your vision on a higher level and discuss the feasibility of your ideal budget range. While we won’t know the exact cost of your project at this point, starting this discussion and talking about some practical numbers, will help our team direct you in the best way forward.
Inevitably you will have lots of questions for us and we will leave time to answer those.
Scope & Budget Development: 1-2 Weeks
When the Remodeling Consultant returns to the office they will put together an outline of the scope of work and an estimated budget, which we call an Opinion of Probably Cost. This can take a week or even 2 weeks depending on the complexity of the project.
Project Development: 60-120 Days
During Project Development we will narrow down the ideas you like best and hone in on a final design based on several criteria we’ve understood through our initial conversations and site visit. Once you love the final design we move right into making selections.
This is where we work closely with you on all the finishing touches of the design by making the selections on cabinets, countertops, flooring, plumbing fixtures, tile, paint colors, etc. All of your decisions are made before the construction portion starts, making the process go much smoother for you in the long run.
While the selections are being chosen, our team will also be hard at work finalizing all the important construction details, so that we can have a fully completed set of construction documents ready to go.
Proposal & Contract
Now that the details and associated costs for your project have been determined and your selections have been finalized, we will prepare your proposal and contract. This is the document that outlines the scope of work, the schedule, and the payment terms. We will invite you back to our office to go over the project, the selections and the sign the contract.
After this phase, we are all ready to start creating that new space you’ve been dreaming about!
Schedule Start Date to Begin Construction
Turning ideas on paper into reality begins at this phase.
Our carpenters will arrive at your home each day, equipped to transform your ideas into reality. Ryan Hibl, your Project Manager, will meet with you and our contractors to review the progress and keep you up to date on the milestones and expectations. With our skilled tradesmen, you’re in good hands, as they are not only great craftsmen, but they are ready to answer any questions you have as the project moves forward.